Re-evaluate the relationship
Every person's history, culture, present circumstances, and needs are unique, so if you desire a change in your relationship with your mom, the first place to start is reflect upon and journal about what YOU need.
Begin to envision what a better relationship with your mother would look like, even if you're not yet sure how to achieve it. Here are some things you can do:
- Make a list of what you like and what you dislike about the relationship
- Make a list of any conversation topics you want to steer away from with her
- Make a list of activies you dislike engaging in with your mom
- Think about the type and frequency of contact you want with her
- Ask trusted friends about their relationships with their moms
- Read a book about healthy boundaries or individuation...